A mattress pad is another bed accessory and some people wonder and ask, “What is a mattress pad?” This is because it is similar to mattress topper and some people even use both terms interchangeably.
This article will answer the question and also reveal its uses. Read on as we delve into it:
What a mattress pad is
What is a mattress pad? A mattress pad is a thin layer of padding usually placed on a mattress. It helps to give an extra layer of comfort and is used to adjust the firmness of a mattress.
You can also use it if your mattress is worn out or as a protector if you don’t have a mattress protector. It helps to improve quality of sleep.
Uses of a mattress pad
A mattress pad has many uses. They are the following:
- Like earlier mentioned, a mattress pad gives an extra layer of comfort to your mattress. It makes your firm mattress soft and feel more comfortable. And for a not-so-firm mattress, it makes it firmer.
- A mattress pad can be used as an extra support for patients recovering from an illness.
- If you don’t want to use a mattress protector for whatsoever reason (for example, noise produced by a mattress protector), a mattress pad can be used in place of it to protect your mattress from spills and stains.
- Some mattress pads have cooling effect. Hence, a mattress pad can help you enjoy a cooler night.
Difference between a mattress pad and a mattress topper
Some people confuse the two. That may be because both have the same uses. They both offer support and extra cushioning and preserves the mattress.
However, they are different. A mattress topper is thicker than a mattress pad. A mattress topper can be between 4 and 6 inches thick while a pad is just about 2 inches thick.
Choosing a mattress pad
There are some essential factors to put in mind when choosing a mattress pad:
- Your needs: What is your need? Comfortability? Support? Extra cushioning? You can opt for a mattress pad based on what you need.
You can also choose a mattress pad for temperature control and to serve as a protector for your mattress. Different mattress pads provide different functions.
A mattress pad can be made with different materials like cotton, latex, down, feathers, memory foam and synthetic fibre. They all have their special properties (which make them unique) and their disadvantages. What you need determines what you go for.
For example, mattress pads made with cotton are comfortable, durable, breathable and easy to maintain. They also have hypoallergenic properties. Latex pads are great for support uses because of their contouring abilities. However, latex pads are costly, not easy to maintain and can be hotter than cotton pads.
This article has been able to answer the question, “What is a mattress pad?”
You have also been able to know the difference between a pad and a topper and the benefits of having a mattress pad. With all these, you will agree with me that a mattress pad is an important piece of bedding that you should have.